Tuesday, December 18, 2007

It's time to Go, it's time to say Goodbye.... - DAY SEVEN

Well, today's the day.

DH took MiniMe to school, for the last time in the Van. When he got home, he asked, "what would happen if we just ran away with the Van, and it wasn't here when they came to get it?" I laughed, and asked if he'd read that in my blog. He didn't. He just REALLY likes the van, LOL!!

We are definitely looking at Dodge now, whereas before the test drive, it was not on our list. I have had issues with Chrysler's customer service, and my Neon had head gasket issues (had to replace them at 60k miles, and so did lots of other people), electrical issues (the horn went out every 6 months for the first 2 years..... and Chrysler refused to replace it. So they cleaned the connectors and sent me on my way - until I yelled at the service guy at a dealership around here, and made him fix it right.).

Oh, and the speedometer and odometer haven't worked in YEARS. Literally. SO I have n idea how many miles it has on it, or how fast I am going, other than the fact that I know the car so well (and so does DH, since that's been his commuter car for a while), that I can feel what my speed is. BUT, that could have been caused by Ramsey AutoBody, who was SUPPOSED to fix the car after I was hit by a teenage driver. What they did was not really fix it, just make it look pretty - and tore out some electrical wiring in the process (so the dome light wouldn't come on, rather than fixing the REASON the dome light was STAYING on, from the accident). The odometer and speedometer failed shortly after they worked on the car.

However, that car is approaching 12 years old, and starts every time. Runs well, is very reliable, etc. It's not one we would sell, even with all the paint peeling off (why do 1996 lapis blue Neons have paint that bubbles and falls off??? I have NEVER seen any other car do this), because it IS so reliable. And we THINK we are still getting 32+ miles per gallon - again, hard to tell when the odometer no longer works.

The valet told me this morning that the Dodge Grand Caravan has a LIFETIME warranty. I am definitely going to have to look into that.

FIL said he would NEVER buy American. Most people I know say that. Which is sad, really - if it's because American vehicles don't perform, or don't last, well, then - let's demand BETTER from American automakers. if it's the gas mileage, or warranty, demand BETTER.

If it's the just a stigma that foreign cars are better? Let's get over it. We live in a nation that really began the automobile, and has revolutionized transportation in many ways.

The Odyssey cannot get up hills as well as the Grand Caravan. This was confirmed by my Odyssey-loving sister (and long time Odyssey owner) over the weekend. It doesn't have the legroom and headroom of the Grand Caravan. It doesn't handle as well, or turn as tightly. "But Honda's last forever". Well, that's true. So I ask Chrysler - what are YOU going to do, to make sure the DODGE GRAND CARAVAN "runs forever"?

Because if the Van fits, maybe we should drive it.

No comments: